Man Arrested for Accessing Wi-Fi Network

Moderator: News Team

24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

purrkur wrote:
24seven wrote:
hyperspace wrote:If the end of a private water hose is next to a public sidewalk and the water is running, is it OK to take a drink of water? Is it OK to fill up your 10 gallon water container?

:twisted:
OK to take a drink, but filling up the 10 gallon container would be cheeky.
But wait, what if you are really, REALLY thirsty??
lol

If it were my hose I wouldnt care, water is free. :roll:
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

24seven wrote:
purrkur wrote:
24seven wrote: OK to take a drink, but filling up the 10 gallon container would be cheeky.
But wait, what if you are really, REALLY thirsty??
lol

24seven, is your Wi Fi Free?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

davd_bob wrote:
24seven wrote:
purrkur wrote: But wait, what if you are really, REALLY thirsty??
lol

24seven, is your Wi Fi Free?
Nope but I dont leave the tap running and unlocked so to speak.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

found this on slashdot:
"If you have been looking for a Linux based car PC. One man has made this a reality and documented putting together a Linux based car PC. Some of the features of this on board car PC is it can automatically sniff and record locations of wireless access points and plot them with GPS. You can watch a movie, browse the internet, get weather forecasts and stream Direct TV from your house right to your car. For an added bonus, you can remote start the car, and connect to it from inside the house and use SSH in, and transfer files without even getting off the couch."
So the vote is out on this guy. Is he a tightass, idiot or a criminal who should be shot dead (or maybe a combination of those)?

:)
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

purrkur,
Actually I think it it would work in reverse. As the "carputer" with wi-fi is in motion, someone might log onto it.
Unless he uses enough security to turn of the water hose, or whatever.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

So who has a wireless network here? I do!
-Derek
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

davd_bob wrote:As the "carputer" with wi-fi is in motion, someone might log onto it.
So your point is that if his network is not secured and people log onto the "carputer" then he is an idiot?

:)
Derek wrote:So who has a wireless network here? I do!
So do I. I got myself a Linksys access point that does a pretty decent job. I use WPA along with MAC address filtering and no SSID broadcasting. If somebody is really determined to break in and they are patient enough then they will end up getting what they want but so far my logs haven't shown any unauthorized tries. That would make me a tightass IIRC :)
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

hahahaha

This has been a fun thread.

Hey...If purrkur is a Linux Guru then maybe I should be a Confused Guru.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
Billl

Post by Billl »

kuun wrote:
hyperspace wrote:So...

If I come by your home and your car has the keys in it, can I take it? :)
kuun wrote:that's never stoipped alot of theieves.... if the keys are in it.. they'll take it...

thats like putting candy in front of a baby and expecting the baby not to eat it...

c'mon now
How you can equate these two is beyond me. A baby has no idea what it is doing is wrong. The thief knows damn well what he is doing.
kuun wrote:the guy was an idiot.. he got what he deserved.. but then again... the person accessing the wi-fi network shuolda been more descrete and prolly shoulda done it in a more... commercial area... how many company network admins actually know their shit? not very many...
That whole argument Kuun is just idiotic! How does doing it to a company instead of an individual make it suddenly ok? I'd love to hear you plead that defence to a Judge. After he stopped laughing, he would throw the book at you.

Billl
Billl

Post by Billl »

Derek wrote:On Friday morning I left from Montreal to Toronto. It is about a 7 hour drive if you obey the speed limits (enough on that topic).

To make a long, boring, story short:

I need to check my email...

The house that I'm at in Toronto (my friend’s house) has a wireless network. Great! I can use my laptop and log online. Even better, he's even secured the network! Good or bad? It’s 1 in the morning and my friend is sleeping… I’m up and on laptop trying to connect to his network but I don’t have the key!!! Hmmmmmm.

Now, I’m not going to wake him up just to ask him for the key… Trying to wake him may be dangerous… Deadly even...

But I need to check my email!

So what do I do?
Sounds simple enough to me, go to bed! lol Breaking into his network could be just as dangerous... Deadly even... to your friendship. :)

Billl
Billl

Post by Billl »

Tim_K wrote:I see we've got a few people here who are real tightasses about the whole wireless security thing.
Actually my intent wasn't to come off as a "tight ass" about this.

I was trying to make a point here! If someone comes to your house and sees no one around and your door is open is it ok if they just stroll through? Assuming they take nothing, do no damage, or bother anyone did they commit a crime?

Answer is of course they did! It's called trespassing people geez.
Tim_K wrote:Yes, TECHNICALLY you shouldn't access someone else's network without permission.
No "TECHNICALLY" it's breaking the law period! The judge seemed pretty clear on this.
Tim_K wrote:But most people don't seem to care.
I bet after a few more of these people land in jail. People will begin to see it for what it is, theft.
Tim_K wrote:I've driven around in my area, through several housing developments and small towns with a laptop, a quality Orinoco wireless card (no external antenna, although it has the connector for one), and Network Stumbler 0.4.0 running . Of all the connections I found, fully 2/3 to 3/4 of them are NOT secured!
There is nothing wrong with looking. It's what you do with the information that may or may not land your ass in jail.
Tim_K wrote:I have no need to try and access the Internet over those connections, I have high speed cable at home.
Probably a good plan unless you would like a new room mate named Bubba.
Tim_K wrote:I advertise in my local area for home computer repairs. I don't get many calls, but some now and then for a little extra cash. Sometimes the people whose computer I'm working on speak about getting a wireless network in their house. I tell them to make sure they turn the WEP security on. They smile, say "Why, so people can't get on my connection from next door or the street"? and then they just blow the whole thing off. It's not a big deal to most people, or they're just too stupid to care.

Or they have a situation like mine where the stuff won't connect with encryption on. I still use MAC address filtering to provide some security. Not that it would stop a determined hacker.
Tim_K wrote:If you all really want to see some good arguments on this subject, head over to netstumbler.com . The admins over there LOVE to tear people new assholes whenever this subject comes up. They're a REAL bunch of tightasses who take it very personally, too. Idiots.
It seems to me if someone is stealing from me it would be reasonable to be a "tight ass" about it.
Tim_K wrote:More and more places are offering public access wireless, so I think that in MOST cases, the thing to do is just chill out and relax about the whole subject. If the owner didn't secure it, enjoy the free access!
Yup and if your not so lucky you can enjoy the free all expense paid holiday at your local jail too. Hell they will even arrange your next date for you too. Even Bubba likes to get lucky too you know! :)

Billl
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

Good thread A+ would read again.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Billl wrote:
Derek wrote:On Friday morning I left from Montreal to Toronto. It is about a 7 hour drive if you obey the speed limits (enough on that topic).

The house that I'm at in Toronto (my friend’s house) has a wireless network. Great! I can use my laptop and log online. Even better, he's even secured the network! Good or bad? It’s 1 in the morning and my friend is sleeping… I’m up and on laptop trying to connect to his network but I don’t have the key!!! Hmmmmmm.

Now, I’m not going to wake him up just to ask him for the key… Trying to wake him may be dangerous… Deadly even...

So what do I do?
Sounds simple enough to me, go to bed! lol Breaking into his network could be just as dangerous... Deadly even... to your friendship. :)

Billl
Finally someone read my post.

The answer is *drum roll* you log into his neighbor’s un-secured network!
-Derek
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

Derek wrote:
Billl wrote:

So what do I do?

Billl

LOL nice one Derek :bananadance: :bananaextended: :bananadance:
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Derek wrote:The answer is *drum roll* you log into his neighbor’s un-secured network!
Derek, I always had a feeling you had a criminal background....

Someday soon you will end up meeting Bubba in person!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Derek wrote:
Billl wrote:

So what do I do?

Billl

hyperspace wrote:
Derek wrote:But I need to check my email! So what do I do?
Email will be there in the morning. Go to bed. :lol:

About the billl and purrkur banter...

People need to know that wireless is still new technology...
Aaaaaa, :(
Derek, we read ALL your posts. Don't feel left out if no-one flames you.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

purrkur wrote:
Derek wrote:The answer is *drum roll* you log into his neighbor’s un-secured network!
Derek, I always had a feeling you had a criminal background....

Someday soon you will end up meeting Bubba in person!

How come everyone knows about Bubba?

davd_bob wrote:
Derek wrote:
Billl wrote: Sounds simple enough to me, go to bed! lol Breaking into his network could be just as dangerous... Deadly even... to your friendship. :)

Billl

hyperspace wrote:
Derek wrote:But I need to check my email! So what do I do?
Email will be there in the morning. Go to bed. :lol:

About the billl and purrkur banter...

People need to know that wireless is still new technology...
Aaaaaa, :(
Derek, we read ALL your posts. Don't feel left out if no-one flames you.
Thanks Dave :?
-Derek
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

I have wireless.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Um,
Someone suggest wireless hardware that is CHEAP and not to difficult to apply security on WIN98. It may be the answer Im looking for on another thread. And now I want to have wireless, since all my heros have it.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

I think most companies (D-Link, Linksys, Belkin etc) have equipment that is similar in price. I bought myself just an access point that I connect to my switch (it contains no internal switch of its own which I already have) so I think it was a bit cheaper than the "combo" solutions out there.

As for Win98, what you should consider is that the security possible is found in the wireless NIC driver and not the wireless access point you connect to. If your wireless access point supports WEP and WPA then your wireless NIC driver has to support those as well if you activate them on your NIC.

From what I have seen, many wireless NIC makers only support W2k and above, however I haven't made any extensive check on this because I don't use Windows. It might be something you might have to think about when selecting equipment.

Hope this helps....
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

The best way to secure a wireless network is to mac protect it, encrypt it and run a vlan over it.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

24seven wrote:The best way to secure a wireless network is to mac protect it, encrypt it and run a vlan over it.
Agreed.
-Derek
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

naaah.
just find your network,
set your computers to connect to it
then hide the SSID
your computers know where it is
but no-one can then sniff it.
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

So, I'm round my friends place and he doesnt have the internet.

Seems I can still post thought. how nice is my friends neighbour.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

24seven wrote:So, I'm round my friends place and he doesnt have the internet.

Seems I can still post thought. how nice is my friends neighbour.
You criminal! :)
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd