Half-Life 2 Available Today!

Moderator: News Team

Derek
Site Admin

Half-Life 2 Available Today!

Post by Derek »

Half-Life 2 was released to the masses today. Thankfully, if you haven't bought a hard copy and have a strong urge to play tonight, you can download it via steam!

:arrow: http://www.steampowered.com

Finally! It's here! :mrgreen:

Here is some information for those of you experiencing installation problems:
HALF-LIFE 2 - NEWS BULLETIN

Vivendi Universal Games would like to notify you of two important updates regarding the product installation for Half-Life 2. The issues identified below are easily addressed and should not constitute a reason for a product return with consumers. We recommend that this information is broadly communicated to retail store managers and other personnel who are interacting with consumers who purchase Half-Life 2.

1. Half Life 2 - CD Installation error when Counter-strike: Source is not selected

The following has been identified as a known issue with Half Life 2 Standard Edition (not Collector's or European DVD editions):

Problem: If during the initial installation process the option to install "Counter-strike: Source" is NOT selected, an error may occur during installation. The message will be: cabinet file error, fatal disk error, or something similar.

Solution: Cancel the current installation process and reinstall the game from the beginning, starting with Disk #1. Make certain to select the option to install both Half-Life 2 and Counter-strike: Source.

Note: If you prefer not to retain the Counter-strike: Source program on your system AFTER INSTALLATION, you can remove it using the following procedure:

After HL2 has been successfully installed, open up the Steam client.
Select the Play Games list
RIGHT click on Counter-strike: Source and select Properties
Select "Delete Local Content."

2. Product Authentication Delay When Installing Half-Life 2

Some consumers may experience delays in authenticating Half-Life 2 during the installation process. This is due to the high volume of consumers who have purchased Half-Life 2 and are installing the game, which is causing high traffic on the Steam authentication servers. Please inform any Half-Life 2 customers that encounter this situation to keep trying, as this is a temporary delay.
Derek
-Derek
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Doh' im sorry... I had 15 copies I just sold on eBay. All the vouchers with activations keys. I still have 5 =) Should of offered it earlier =>.<=;

Thanks.
the_flames

Post by the_flames »

Half Life 2 rocks, It really greal looking(even on my geforce2)
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

I was really happy that HL2 was released. However, I was worried about that Steam online activation. And it's worse than I thought.

They say you have to go online once, to verify you have a legal copy/key. Ok with me, so far. Then you can activate an "Offline mode" that should allow you to play- offline.

Now try to set your system clock to a date in the future. I did, in the BIOS, set it to 12/02/2005. I get this:

Quote:
"Unable to connect to the Steam network. 'Offline mode' is unavailable because there is no Steam login information stored on this computer. You will not be able to use Steam until you can connect to the Steam network again. To check the status of the Steam network, please visit http://steampowered.com"

The login was stored locally (default anyway), auto-updates were deactivated for all steam games (HL2, HL2 DM, CS:S) and the computer was disconnected from the network/internet (cable unplugged).

So if I hadn't used the computer for a year, I would have been forced to go online again. Looks like the login is valid only for a limited period of time.

It doesn't even work if you set the system clock one month ahead. One week ahead works.

I can't believe the login is valid for such a short time. Can you track the change of the system time somehow, even if it is set in the BIOS and the computer is offline?

I'm pretty sure at least here in Germany this is illegal. They say you have to go online once, but you are deceived, because you have to do that again, and it costs you money (not much, but it does). That is fraud.
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW