Dual CPU Mini-ITX Board

Moderator: News Team

Derek
Site Admin

Dual CPU Mini-ITX Board

Post by Derek »

This is too cool! I think everyone visiting BP6.Com will appriciate this new Dual CPU mobo much more than many other computer enthusiats!
Mini-ITX.Com wrote:VIA displayed a prototype of the oft-hinted dual processor Mini-ITX at the Fall Processor Forum in San Jose earlier this week. Twin EPIA DP boards were on display inside a 1U server case, as shown in our pictures below. VIA hope to release the EPIA DP in the first quarter of 2005, and will be powered by two Eden-N CPUs (the two small square chips on the right of the above picture). Chipset duties will of course be performed by their CN400 Northbridge and VT8237 Southbridge, with one Gigabit and one 10/100 Ethernet port, and 4 x USB 2.0 ports (plus 2 more on pin headers). Other specifications are unconfirmed. Let's hope that VIA decide to keep the DVI port seen on their prototypes, and bundle a DVI-VGA adapter.
:arrow: Here are some screenshots: http://mini-itx.com/#story0366

Derek
-Derek
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Whoa! Schweeeet! There was even a quad-cpu board there as well!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Lots of interesting stuff on the page.
Via processors may be a disapointment in the desktop environment as no/small L2 cache really hurts but there should be a laptop manufacturer out there that grabbs them. One of those VIA dual or Quad boards could work in a laptop that currently uses a single Piii. I don't know if the processing power of a VIA dual would be better then Pentium single but the battery would probably last longer and it would almost have to run with less heat generation.

Also I liked the XT with a "cup holder" built in the TV case. There was a neet system using a Comodor VIC 64 drive case for the system case.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Billl

Post by Billl »

davd_bob wrote:Lots of interesting stuff on the page.
Via processors may be a disapointment in the desktop environment as no/small L2 cache really hurts but there should be a laptop manufacturer out there that grabbs them. One of those VIA dual or Quad boards could work in a laptop that currently uses a single Piii. I don't know if the processing power of a VIA dual would be better then Pentium single but the battery would probably last longer and it would almost have to run with less heat generation.
Well if the Via C4 I'm using is any indication, you can forget using it in a laptop! That thing runs hotter then hell! Mine is hotter then any PIII I've ever seen.

Billl
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Billl,
Im a little confused and maybe uneducated.
The article mentions in the section labeled
"VIA's new CPU naming convention"
that they didn't use C4 as a label since its an explosive.

Anyway I thought VIAs claim to fame was low temps and low power.

Sorry if I was mistaken.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100