A New Year & A New BP6 BIOS!

Moderator: News Team

davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

426boone,
im kinda new here and really new to BP6ing. NOT exactly new to IDE drives though.

from some study on the topic the hpt66 is a bad thing. well if you don't mind the risk of scrambling your harddrive forcing you to reload everything then it may be ok to use. it looks like maybe kuun and the system admin for this websit have had bad experiences with the hpt66.

more extensive study for the last few years(all boards and all drives) shows that the basic ide connecters (like those on the bp6) will transmit at 33mbit maximum. it is sort of inaccurate to say that drives will transmit at 66 or 100 or 133 though. mechanicaly they can only achieve up to about 40mbit and many are much slower then that. when your motherboard starts a transmit action it will hit the advertised speed (66 or whatever) until the cache is empty then the data slows down to the mechanical limit of the drive. my new 7200rpm 8meg cache WD drive is slightly faster on the hpt66 but i am unwilling to risk my data and moved it to the primary connecter. oh...that WD drive blows away my 5400rpm 512k cache drives on the same connector...guess that means the slower drive cant even hit 33mbit. it wouldnt do me much good to put that one on the hpt66.

i don't know about the newest drives but there is a post on a 300g 5400rpm (im guessing 512k or 2meg cache)drive that i am sure would work at nearly the same speed if they had it on the more reliable primary ide connector instead of the hpt66.

if you want to push the BP6 to its max then use the hpt66, however make sure you check back to this thread and record your results...good or bad every once in a while.
if anyone has better info then this...post it on this thread
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
alexsquared

BP6 Newbie

Post by alexsquared »

I have a quick question. I built a new PC for a customer, and they were so kind as to give me their old one. This is fun, because you never know if you're going to get a buried treasure. Well this time I feel like I did...hence I'm now an ABIT BP6 owner. I'm glad there are communities like this to get all these questions answered. It's only running one celeron 400, but I would love to upgrade this thing and use it possibly as a server. From what I've seen, the fastest thing it'll support in it's original condition are the 533's. Is this correct? I found a local distributor here in Portland, that sells the celeron 1.4's, which run on a 100mhz FSB, and are a socket 370 chip. The problem, from what I've seen is that they are a Tualatin core chip and this board doesn't support those. Will this new BIOS do the trick, or will I need to purchase all sorts of adapters? I was hoping to do it without too much work, because the processors were only $44/each, so I could have a smoking system for not too much $!!!!!! Any input/advise would be extremely appreciated for this newbie. Thank you!!!!
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

well in order to do use the celeron 1.4 you must do what yoshiro did

please see thread
http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1141
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Re: A New Year & A New BP6 BIOS!

Post by InactiveX »

readme.txt wrote: - Fixed ACPI table. See details at: http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/view.php?id=129
Instead of having to compile the fixed DSDT into the kernel or load it via initrd, the acpitbl.bin file is updated. The BIOS date is also updated to 01/01/04 to avoid being blacklisted by the Linux kernel. Tested on my motherboard (works for me).
Can anyone enlighten me as to what these things mean? Does the latter mean that later Linux kernels will only run on a BIOS dated after a certain time?