RIAA Hit (Lawsuit) List

Moderator: News Team

Derek
Site Admin

RIAA Hit (Lawsuit) List

Post by Derek »

Check out the hit list compiled by TechTV at: http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/stor ... 00,00.html
The TechLive Staff wrote:The recording industry has launched a sweeping effort to identify and shut down individual song swappers, making good on recent threats to expand its legal battle against copyright theft.

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has now issued more than 911 subpoenas to Internet service providers across the United States, trying to get the names of people still offering music on file-sharing networks such as KaZaA and Grokster.

Today, "Tech Live" brings you the RIAA Hit List, the user names of file traders targeted in the recording industry subpoenas.

Last month, we brought you the story of Jesse Jordan, a 19-year-old college student who became one of the first to be hit with a lawsuit by the RIAA. Jordan settled his case by paying $12,000 to the RIAA.

The following user names were culled from subpoenas filed with the US District Court in Washington, DC. All subpoenas, incidentally, are being served by the Los Angeles law firm of Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp. A total of 253 RIAA subpoenas were listed as of July 22 through the federal court system's paid online database, PACER. The actual subpoenas are available to view online in about half the cases.

The court documents don't show individual users' real names. They do show file-sharing network user names, the user's ISP, the user's IP address, and a sampling of copyright songs the user allegedly made available for download. To date, many ISPs have been contacted, including Pac Bell Internet, SBC, Charter Communications, Comcast, Adelphia, RCN, and Time Warner.

Following is a list of the first user names from our review of the subpoenas.
Post your comments about the RIAA's actions.

Derek
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
alnielsen

Post by alnielsen »

I noted that only one user on the TechTV list was using KazaaLite.
HAL6000
SETI Guru

Post by HAL6000 »

I guess it is a good thing I do all my leeching on other things instead of those lame p2p networks.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Man, I shake my head to the record companies, do they seriously think this will stop file sharing?
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

this is like..

trying to stop the spread of knowledge..

you try to keep people from sharing knowledge by making the ones who have it pay for allegedly spreading it?

what has the RIAA come to? they are nothing but money grubbing bastards who are loosing money because they charge too f***ing much for a cd.. and offer no kind of garuantee if that cd gets damaged..

personally im not gonna pay $20 for a cd and if it gets messed up for any reason... have to go pay another $20 for the same cd... piss on that..

the RIAA can **** ** ****, ** ** ****...

i hate the RIAA...
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

I guess this will make many people stay away from p2p networks right now, and that´s what the RIAA wants.

Personally, I´m not satisfied at all with the quality of mp3s you get via p2p networks. I don´t know how people manage to get those bad results when they create them, encoders are not that difficult to use. Aside from that, record companies seem to be spamming a lot recently. Try whole album downloads from major artists, you´ll get some "interesting" things like phase-compressed mp3s...

So I still buy CDs, but I try to avoid the more expensive releases. I remember when CDs hit the market, the record companies told that the prices of ~15$ or more were only so high because of the development costs and would be lowered soon. That was in ´82/´83...

Meanwhile, smaller record stores around here make money by selling clothes and other merchandising crap, but not by selling CDs. The stores have to pay about 12$/13$ for the CDs and sell them for 16$/17$. You can´t sell them for more because people won´t pay them for more. The stores don´t make money and people still feel CDs are too expensive. This ruins the whole buisness. Three smaller stores have already closed during the last two years. The remaining have thrown out most personnel. And that´s not because they´re hard-core-old-school-capitalists ;)
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

they have basucally killed themselves

the RIAA has given people the desire to get music for free.. who wants to pay for overpriced cd's? when you can go online and download them..

i hate p2p networks.. they have always sucked imo... i even hated napster when it was out..

i get my mp3's VIA IRC... you get better results and you don't have to worry about someone bumping you off thier server or from the DCC send about half way through.. like those annoying P2P networks..

plus.. on 56K.. d/l one file at a time is bad enough... and if you allow your files to be shared.. ppl d/l from you.... killing you d/l speed.. and yet if you don't share.. ppl won't let you d/l from tyhem..

IRC imho is alot better
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
onelegdis

Post by onelegdis »